Thursday 21 August 2014

The 'suits everything' tomato sauce

Another super speedy recipe for you today, can you tell it is almost back to school and I am madly trying to get all my lessons planned?

This easy tomato sauce is one of my stock recipes. The reason I love it so much is that it works for so many different purposes and is made from ingredients that I will always have in my fridge (or at la push be able to find in my local Co-Op on the way home from work!). It is delicious with some courgette pasta, drizzled over a roasted sweet potato, or even blended into a soup. However today I was craving pizza and so used it to top my gluten-free pizza bases, then topped with some roasted veggies- YUM!

Ingredients-
  • 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quatered
  • 1 red chilli, diced 
  • 1 clove of garlic, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon agave syrup
The Making

  1. Brown the onions in a pan (I used coconut oil to make sure they didn't stick). If you like a sweet sauce then add in the agave syrup at this point- this is a natural substitute for sugar which will help to caramelise the onions.
  2. Add in the chilli, garlic and olive oil and fry until the garlic is slightly caramelised (doesn't take long at all!).
  3. Next, add in the tomatoes. Give everything a stir then find yourself something to do for around 20 minutes- suggestions include some yoga or pilates, but are more likely to be reading a magazine or watching trashy TV! Make suure you keep stirring your sauce, and remember to add in some water if it begins to look dry.
  4. Take off the heat when your sauce has reached the desired consistancy. This will depend on what you are using it for- a pasta sauce will be nice and juicy, however a pizza base wants a more sticky, almost jam-like texture.
There we are, a great sauce for a mid-week, can't quite be bothered sort of tea. Is it Friday yet?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment