Wednesday 20 August 2014

The quick and easy houmous



The very first recipe on my blog surely has to be a cracker, right? Well, not to blow my own trumpet but this one really is! I absolutely LOVE houmous. It's one of those foods that I could never ever get bored of eating. If you were to investigate my supermarket shopping you would, without a doubt, find a few tubs of houmous sneaking their way into my shopping bag! But after having a quick read through some of the ingredients of pre-made houmous, I realised that I didn't know what half of it was, which is never good! So I decided to try making some myself, and after a few attempts (and some decidedly dodgy ones at that!), I have finally settled on a recipe that I LOVE, and make at least once a week. Feel free to change ingredients and whatnot to suit whatever you fancy!



Just a note, this recipe usually makes enough to feed me for around 5 days worth of lunches, or would be fab for some nibbles between four of you.

Ingredients-
  • 1 tin of chickpeas (drained)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika
  • 1 tablespoon water (optional)
The Making

(Yes I promise you, this is as easy as it sounds!)

  1. Blend the chickpeas in a food processor or hardcore blender (note to self, buy a better blender!), until they are whatever texture you are going for. Personally I air on the side of chunky!
  2. Then add in all your dry ingredients and blend again.
  3. Finally, mix in your wet ingredients and give it a final blend!
  4. At this stage you may want to add in some water if you prefer a smoother texture.
  5. That's it! The whole thing took me less than 2 minutes, and I probably managed to eat a bowl full in a similar time.
So now you can enjoy your ridiculously quick and easy bowl of houmous. I love to serve this with a rainbow coloured bowl of vege- think carrots, celery, peppers and radish, although I am also partial to some crackers to dunk in.

Remember that this is only a basic houmous recipe, there are lots of ways you can spice this up a bit! My current favourites are beetroot and mint, Moroccan spices and pesto.

Please let me know if you try this recipe, and if you have any suggestions for new flavours I could try!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment