Friday 22 August 2014

The not so naughty chocolate brownie






Sometimes we all need something a little bit sweet, right? For me watching Great British Bake Off gets me everytime, I can't sit through five minutes without rooting through my kitchen cupboards! This has happened one too many times, so this week I made sure I was prepared with some clean brownies to nibble on. This was the first time I have made them before and I have to say that both Mr MGK and myself were very impressed! Gooey and chocolatey and perfect company for Queen Mary Berry herself!

Ingredients-
  • 1 medium sized sweet potato (mine filled one cup when cooked and mashed)
  • 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 3 eggs, mixed
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/4 cup agave syrup (or sweetener of your choice- maple syrup would be amazing but we had none in!)
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons cacao (or unsweetened cocoa poweder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Something for an added crunch! Could use cacao nibs, dark chocolate chips, any nuts or even chia seeds.
The Making

  1. First of all you need to cook your sweet potato. My favourite way to do this is by popping it in the steamer for around 20 minutes, as this will hold in more of the nutrients, although you could put the potato in an oven set to 190C for 30 minutes, or pop it in the microwave for around 6 minutes. You then need to peel off the skin, mash the potato, or blend it to a smooth puree.
  2. Add all your wet ingredients to the potato (eggs, oil, syrup and vanilla) and mix.
  3. Then mix in all the dry ingredients to form a thick batter.
  4. Grease a brownie tin with a little coconut oil, then pour in the batter to around 3/4 full.
  5. Bake in your already pre-heated oven for around 35 minutes.
  6. Let your brownies cool, if you can resist trying one straight away!

Let me know if you have tried making sweet treats with unexpected ingredients before, I couldn't believe how gooey the sweet potato made them! I'm definitely up for experimenting with them again!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment